The High School International Exchange Industry is unique. Exchange organizations are always looking for talent who understand the industry and who are looking to share their knowledge and grow their talents. CSIET is happy to provide a space for CSIET members to share their organization’s career opportunities to help our industry grow as a whole.
Community Development Manager
Youth For Understanding USA - Multiple Locations, Multiple Locations , USA
Locations for Position:
Michigan (all locations, Saginaw, Grand Rapids, Muskegon preferred), Central Pennsylvania, Colorado, Minnesota (Minneapolis/ St. Paul area), West Virginia, Kentucky, Baltimore (MD), Frederick (MD), Wilmington (DE), Trenton (NJ), Allentown (PA), Scranton (PA), Rochester (NY), Syracuse (NY), Buffalo (NY), Hartford (CT), Providence (RI), Manchester (NH), Burlington (VT), Portland (ME), Norfolk (VA), Roanoke (VA), Richmond (VA), Charlottesville (VA), Lynchburg (VA), Winchester (VA), Fredericksburg (VA), Charlotte (NC), Clarksville (TN), Durham (NC).
YFU advances intercultural understanding, life-long learning, global competencies, mutual respect, and social responsibility through transformational educational exchanges for generations of youth, families, and communities, supported by dedicated volunteers and professional staff. Participants’ experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of the Position:
The Community Development Manager supports the recruitment needs of YFU programs by developing and growing vibrant YFU communities and increasing market share for both inbound and outbound program participants within assigned geographical boundaries. The Community Development Manager is a strong networker and an interactive confident communicator with excellent interpersonal and persuasion skills. This position reports to the Director of Community Development and is a home-based position; location is flexible.
- Achievement Motivation – Drive and commitment to succeed, competitiveness and goal achievement.
- Emotional Stability/Adaptability – Ability to function effectively even when faced with rejection or stressful situations. Sees each failure as one step closer to success. Learns from failures and doesn’t take it personally.
- Emotional Intelligence – Ability to empathize and understand the emotions and motivations that underlie human behavior, i.e., ‘reading people’ well.
- Accountability/Locus of Control - Responsibility for one’s own success or failure.
- Organization/Time Management - Effective prioritization.
- General Cognitive Ability – Ability to interpret information quickly and accurately.
- Communication (oral and written) - Ability to articulate well and be easily understood.
- Meets or exceeds minimum placement goals for new and replacement host family recruitment as well as recruitment goals for outbound students for their geographical territory through in-person and virtual customer pipeline building.
- Understands and manages the sales situation in their assigned territory and closely manages individual customer pipeline year-round.
- Works effectively in a team but also pursues and understands individual goals.
- Understands the organization’s sales targets and sees exceeding them as an opportunity to contribute to YFU’s and their own personal success.
- Utilizes innovative market approaches to meet goals.
- Works closely with their partner Community Engagement Manager to ensure a smooth on program “hand-off” which contributes to the overall sales success of the territory. This includes maintaining existing customer relationships, ensuring that excellent customer service and support lead to repeat customers and referrals, and assists in growing volunteer community through recruitment efforts.
- Implement an effective, creative marketing plan to improve YFU’s visibility through all forms of media within the target markets.
- Possesses outstanding written and verbal communication skills including confident public speaking. Effective in cold calling, nurturing relationships and closing the sale by stated deadlines.
- Participates in routine organizational strategic teaming exercises.
- Understands and is committed to YFU’s mission.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Participation in sales and recruitment training and cross-training, in coordination with Community Engagement Managers, in volunteer management and engagement, support, and compliance.
- Sales oriented and target driven person with minimum 1-2 years of work experience in recruitment and sales
- Business acumen with a strong aptitude for negotiation and persuasion
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in sales/marketing, cold calling and recruiting.
- International and/or intercultural experience preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively under pressure; able to consistently meet goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; customer service-oriented telephone manner and excellent listening and reflecting skills. Ability to communicate effectively and concisely to customers.
- Ability to work beyond normal business hours including weekends and late evenings during peak season. Occasional overnight travel.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of detailed instruction and direct supervision.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office Suite and other word processing, spreadsheets, and database applications, as well as familiarity with customer relationship management systems.
Contact InformationKelly Horst
Phone: (202) 774-5200
If you have an opening in your organization that you would like to share on CSIET’s Career Connection, please fill out this “Post on Career Connection” Form, and CSIET Staff will contact you for more information or will let you know when the posting can go live.