Long-Term Inbound Standards
Individual or organization authorized to represent or act on behalf of the organization in administering one or more aspects of the program, for example, an overseas partner.
Entity that sponsors international student exchange activities.
Organized international student exchange activity that begins with participant recruitment and selection, includes the components outlined in the standards that follow, and terminates when the participant returns to his or her point of origin or otherwise severs the relationship with the program sponsor. Programs applying for CSIET listing must have a minimum of one current international student exchange participant in each cycle that is being evaluated for each program (i.e. J-1/F-1 inbound).
- A representative who is compensated for out-of-pocket expenses only. If a representative receives regular compensation, such as a per student placement fee, this individual cannot be considered a volunteer.
- A host family that provides room and board gratis to a student.
The CSIET Board of Directors has ruled that if the State Department or an agency of the U.S. government provides an exception that may affect compliance with CSIET standards, the organization to which the waiver has been granted may operate under that exemption upon written presentation of such waiver to CSIET upon application for CSIET listing.
STANDARD 1: EDUCATIONAL PERSPECTIVE
STANDARD 2: ORGANIZATIONAL PROFILE
STANDARD 3: FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
STANDARD 4: PROMOTION
STANDARD 5: STUDENT SELECTION AND ORIENTATION
STANDARD 6: STUDENT PLACEMENT
- J-1: A Direct Placement is one in which either the student or the sending organization in the foreign country is party to an arrangement with any other party, including school personnel, for the student to attend a particular school or live with a particular host family; however,
- F-1: The term Direct Placement, in the context of the original J-1 definition, does not apply because federal regulation requires all international students to “apply and be accepted by an SEVP approved school” prior to applying for the F-1 visa. Therefore, in its continuing effort to facilitate the needs of its partners at state associations, CSIET asks that programs provide transparency and report to the NFHS any F-1 student for whom participation in interscholastic varsity athletics was a known motivating factor at the time of application.
U.S. State:Name of Student:Country of Origin:Local Rep Name/Number:Name/City of U.S. Host School:Nature of the Direct Placement:Visa Type (J or F):
i. academic records, translated into English or other language as appropriateii. number of years of school completed prior to arrival and number of yearsrequired in home country for the completion of secondary school
STANDARD 7: OPERATIONS
STANDARD 8: STUDENT INSURANCE
STANDARD 9: ADHERENCE TO GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS
1. Cease operation2. Merge with or become acquired by another organization3. Receive a notice of intent to sanction, or receive sanction/s (including but not limited to letter of reprimand, probation, suspension, and/or forms reduction) by the US Department of State or any other government agency.
As revised by the Board of Directors, April 2016